torsdag 14. mai 2009

17 May. Our national day

Today I've done absolutely NO, NADA, ingenting homework what so ever :) Feels like the weekend to me. The best part is that we didn't have anything eighter till tomorrow.


Audhild and I has had a prosject about northern light. It was most definitly too hard for my brain. it was physics and chemesty together...




Silje is going to celebrate her birthday tomorrow. We are going to her cabin down by the sea. Hope the weather turnes out beautiful. We are going to stay there till saturday evening.



Now the time difference is a good thing, cause then Noah will get his birthday e-mail from me. yeey cutie boy :)



Then on sunday it the 17th of May. Norways national day. And for all you forheigners we celebrate it in a kind of special way:

The once who are seniors becomes something called "Russ". There are different colors depending on what you are going to be. Example. if you are going to be a farmer, you look like this




If you are going to go to college you become red or blue "russ":




And the once that is going to be a mecanic, electriiton, work with health, like nurse at a nursing home becomes black
They all have a thing called "russe card" like a joke visit card, with a picture and a joke on it, that children collects. I had around 300 when I was little

(PS. All pictures are randomly taken from the internett)



We who aren't "russ" dress up nicely, and some of us has a "bunad" it's Norways national suit.

Strict rules. You have to have a family member from the place you're "Bunad" is from. Some "Bunad" I think is really cool:


above is the national suit to our native people "samer"





The children walk in a parade where there is a lot of people watching. They are singing our national anthem (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umY-LB7ExPQ&feature=related)and other song made for this day.



Afterwards we go to tivoli and then eat with family or friends. than in the evening we run something called "tapto". Where we have a starting point in the top of centrum, and runnes all through it holding hands, forming long "snakes". around 3/4 of a mile. then we come down to the sea and we watch the fireworks and lissten to some bands playing.



In our capital all the children that marches goes past the royal house, with the royal family out on the balcony waving. the thousand first children gets to eat dinner in the royal house.


Wow. You've made it so far. You are seriously good. You should leave a comment, so I know that you are a faithful reader. Pictures from our national day will come later :)

8 kommentarer:

  1. Wow! That looks like so much fun! I cannot get over the pointy toed boots... :)

    You are adorable in your bunad. I wish you could hear me say it...because I'm sure it's wrong. I'm also quite positive I say "Audhild" and "Berit" wrong too ;)

    SvarSlett
  2. [aoudhild] [bearit] you pronounce it like :)

    SvarSlett
  3. Ooh! I really wish I had the "Setesdalsbunad" (the last one)it's so cute!
    Shame on you Julie! our national anthem is "ja vi elsker" not "Det er Norge i rødt hvit og blått". Yo should know that xD.
    Shure you dont want to teach them saying [udl], like you normally pronounce my name(only because you're lazy) ;p

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22KEYr70gcc
    (this is our national anthem)

    SvarSlett
  4. So now I'll go listen to your real national anthem ;)

    I need a video with pronunciation...from the both of you ;)

    You two crack me up. Start saving your $ Audhild, you're gonna need to come visit Julie while she's here ;)

    SvarSlett
  5. Wow. SO cool. Thanks for sharing about your heritage! We're looking forward to welcoming you to the US!
    A Blog-Friend of Sarah's (known as ShalomSeeker or just simply "J" :-D)

    SvarSlett
  6. What a fun day~I bet the parade is just spectacular! You look adorable in your national dress, Julie. Thank you for sharing with us!

    SvarSlett
  7. wow, so my oldest child is named russ! what does it mean if you name your child russ there?!?!

    Paulsen is from Denmark I believe, I have not researched it but I remember his mom saying it was Denmark I think.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    SvarSlett

Julie and Audhild

Julie and Audhild
says hello :)